I bought this car in 2004 from a guy in Wi who got it from a guy in Ok. It had a rebuilt 289, 4 spd, front bench seat in it. It had a cheezy resto where they riveted tin over the rusted floor then undercoated it all to hide it. It drove like an old car does and was fun.
I like old cars with new stuff underneath so I started to make some changes. It started with subframe connectors. This is where I discoverd the fine repair job on the floor boards. I installed 2×3 subframe connectors and tied them into the braced rocker panels I made. Then I made new floor panels to fit amongst all the new bars. Then I braced the cowl area behind the front fenders. There is very little flex in the car now.
I had bought a T56 for it and seems how I had to replace some of the floor this seemed like the best time to make modifications for that. I dropped the 4 spd out to find that I have a 5 bolt 289. Yuk. So out came the 289 as well. I put in an old 289 I had laying around with the T56.
Next I installed an aluminum crossflow radiator sized for a fox body Mustang. I had to make the opening larger in the front by several inches on each side but it fit nicely.
The front has springs from Mustang Plus that I cut a couple coils off to get the car down. I added 13" Cobra R Brembo brakes using a kit from Vintage Venom. In the rear I cut the tubs out to fit in some 315/35–17's. I needed to notch the frame as well so I just cut them out and replaced the rails with some from Auto Weld. Then I added a Griggs Racing torque arm suspension. That is where I am today, trying to finish the suspension. I have 3 other cars so progress has slowed here for the last couple of years.
|Audio & Video|