New Member. thunderbird in the works

85bird's picture
Date Joined: Nov 05, 2011

Have been looking for a website with lots of cool rides to browse I picked up a 1985 Thunderbird with 157000 km.The body is in great shape drove it home and for one weekend.Under the hood had its drips and stains which needed to be cleaned up.I pulled the motor tranny and have purchased all new parts to have this 302 re-built.Engine has been sent out and should be getting it back in a couple weeks so I can start to reassemble.

JIMMER's picture
Date Joined: Sep 01, 2011

Welcome. Your ride looks great. I see your odometer reading is in kms. Are you in Canada? Toronto here.

85bird's picture

Taurus looks sweet have you owned the car for a long time the hood and ground effects look great.Yes Im a Canadian from Port Hope about 1 hour east of you.Great website to see other car owners rides.

JIMMER's picture

Howdy neighbour. Looking forward to seeing your ride on the road. Will you have it on the road soon or are you going to let winter come and go?

Thanks, I've owned my car for about a year and a half. Bought it bone stock for $4,500. Have been modifying it ever since. There is a full mod list on my cars profile page. Starting an engine rebuild now and over the winter. Bought a duplicate motor to build. Stroker kit, 1.8 roller rockers, etc etc.

Yeah, this is a great site. They did it up right. Easy to use, lots of cool features and lots of sweet Fords from all over the world.

85bird's picture

Won't be on the road till spring bought the car in march 2011. Drove it home from George Town and drove it for one week then decided to pull motor and tranny for clean up and rebuild.This my first time doing something like this I pulled motor and tranny myself. Cleaned and painted or purchased all new parts for under the hood.Right now the motor is out for reassemble by a professional.The motor is getting performance cam.lifters few other internal parts .Should get motor back soon for me to add all external componets and re-install.While I am doing this he will have tranny which is getting a shift kit (automatic).March car will be shipped to him for for tranny install,true dual exhaust install,and what ever else is needed for safety .Just in time for spring.I do not now alot about engines but have spent hours and hours cleaning and painting both engine and engine bay.What I do know is I love driving older cars .My first car was a 1970 Mustang Coupe with a 250 miss this car but should have alot of fun with this 302.

JIMMER's picture

Nice job on the engine restoration, looks a hell of a lot better than it was. Are you thinking of maybe adding a turbo? I'm about to start a full engine rebuild including racing stroker kit in order to ensure my engine will be able to handle the turbo I will be putting in.

85bird's picture

I commute to work during the week in a 4 cylinder jeep patriot to save money on gas. So that 302 with performance cam and dual exhaust is going to be a turbo to me HAHA. Also my main concern is to get it on the road for spring and not sure what other hidden costs may be there as being 26 years old.23 years ago I sold my 1970 mustang coupe and have missed it all this years. Raising a family and realizing expenses will never end with a son now in college and buying him a car also.I dicided it was now or never and time to get out and do some cruzing.

JIMMER's picture

Yeah, it the little, unexpected things that take a toll on the budget. The rebuild will give you quite a bit more power, so just make sure that everything else is ready for it and can handle the new rebuild. i.e. motor mounts, tranny, ecu, etc. You don't want to drop in the motor only to find out that you will have more expenses in order to get it running well. I will have that problem with my rebuild. I will need to replace the stock ecu with a stand alone ems, going with AEM. Then my tranny won't like the huge increase in power, so I will be doing a major swap to a 5-speed. Keep us posted on the progress.