Slow Computer

F150's picture
Date Joined: Mar 16, 2009

I have a laptop and the thing is slower than molasses. I have tried defragmenting it and erasing things and running numerous virus and spyware programs but nothing seems to work. It used to run excellent but now it's just slow. Anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing it to go so slow?

Joenutz's picture
Date Joined: Mar 30, 2009

how dated is the notebook? 6 months? a year old? more? whats the platform/stats?

i find that if nothing will work to defrag or cleanup or make the computer faster then maybe its just time for a new one. u can get a sweet new notebook for like 250 bucks now,and if u think of how much stress your computer causes you when its running like poop,250 bucks is nothing for sanity.

rand's picture
Date Joined: Mar 15, 2009

The best place I have found to get computer help like this is a website named bleepingcomputer.com. I had a malware issue about a year ago. I described it to them on their forum and they not only knew exactly what it was, but also had a downloadable fix for it.

focussed's picture

There are just so many things that can make a computer run slowly, including your ISP! I can also recommend a great website www.geekstogo.com who really are awesome.

temia's picture
Date Joined: Mar 15, 2009

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

I also keep a copy of Avira on the computer just in case. Mal/Spywares are all nasty and you never want them to stay on your machine. I once scanned a friends and he had over 400 things on his computer, I almost had a heartattack.

powerup's picture

I wanted to thank everyone for the recommendations to this question. I also have a computer that seems to be slower than usually. I'm going to see what I can do to get it working a little better. Much appreciated!

FORD_MAD's picture
Date Joined: Mar 17, 2009

Hate to tell you F150, but I'm sure you've got a virus. My computer, is away for repairs at the moment and was expecting to get it back today. But the guy rang me yesterday and said he tried to de-frag the computer and it looks like there's a huge virus on there. Going to cost me $500 to get it back in working order. They are such a pain when they brake down, so I'm using my brother's at the moment. Good luck!