Full Tank, Half a Tank, Couple Gallons?

ironsilk's picture
Date Joined: Jul 21, 2008

With gas prices all over the place do you tend to fill all the way up, half a tank or just a couple gallons at a time? Whats your reasoning behind this? This is barring inclimate weather of course which dictates you should keep half to a full tank to lessen water freezing in the lines.

LeftHander's picture

I get as empty as it can be and fill up fully when I have an offer. Otherwise I do what I think I need to do.

Our local grocery store gives you 10c off per 100 dollars spent, and so with how little driving I tend to do, I'm good with just that. Never have to pay pump prices.

purple's picture
Date Joined: May 16, 2008

I normally get down to empty in the summer as well. If I anticipate prices to go down or will be traveling past where they are cheaper I might only put in a 1/4 or 1/2 tank to get me to that pump. It depends.

Embark's picture
Date Joined: Aug 01, 2008

Unfortunately I get caught short and need a small top up too, but I have a bunch of stations that I hit and don't like to go anywhere else. They are consistently cheaper than anything else locally, so I don't deviate.

PaintedBlue's picture

There hasn't been enough variation locally to make much of a difference. I just put in what I need to, or what I can afford at the time. I can't always afford to fill the tank if I am close to pay day.

canti's picture
Date Joined: May 16, 2008

I don't fill up unless I really have to, sometimes local mom/pop shops around here will drop prices and I will fill up then. If I did every single time I was close to empty knowing my luck it would drop the very next day.

mustangsally's picture
Date Joined: Mar 16, 2009

I usually keep my tank on full. It's just as easy to keep the top half full as it is the bottom half. But, with gas prices all over I sometimes wait till the gas prices drop and then fill up. A penny saved is a penny earned.

rand's picture
Date Joined: Mar 15, 2009

When prices are going up, I fill the tank. That way, the gas in my car is the cheapest it can be. When prices are dropping, I put in $5 to $10 at a time so I can take advantage of the falling gas prices.