Used Versus New Parts

MrPibb's picture
Date Joined: Jul 21, 2008

Just had to have a new alternator put into my vehicle. Part cost $270 from the dealership. Asked if that included the core return discount and was told yes, and it was a used alternator not a new one. Holy heck when did parts go up so much in cost? Do you normally go with refurbished/used parts or only new for your repairs?

escape's picture
Date Joined: Jun 25, 2008

It could just be the markup from a dealer and not another garage. You could go to five garages and get a different price for the same part from each. Where they order from, how many they have on hand, etc can influence the price by as much as 30%.

Embark's picture
Date Joined: Aug 01, 2008

It depends on what the part is, and how much cash I have available at the time. I have in the past chosen both new, and refurbished parts. Never really had a problem with either, so I just keep going on how much cash I have to spare.

Sunny's picture
Date Joined: Jul 13, 2008

Some parts I will go used or refurbished because they can be just as good as new parts except a lot cheaper, though other parts need to be replaced brand new. So it really just depends on what the part is. Sometimes it's a case of I just can't find a used part that I need anywhere, so I have to go for new anyway.

canti's picture
Date Joined: May 16, 2008

Some places around my area will still do a warranty for a used product but that tends to make the price change too, maybe that's what happened in your case here?

Embark's picture
Date Joined: Aug 01, 2008

Yes, the warranty can be a hidden extra, but should usually be listed on the receipt for service, in which case you can ask for it to be removed maybe? I don't know if this is possible.

Victoria's picture
Date Joined: Jul 06, 2008

We usually go for refurbished parts whenever possible. We have a discount auto parts store nearby and sometimes we can get new parts almost as inexpensive as refurbished, depending upon the part.

Vicky

Vicky