Ever Paint Your Own Car?

ironsilk's picture
Date Joined: Jul 21, 2008

driving by the local tire shop the other day I noticed the grease jockeys spray painting another vehicle matte black. When I went into Walmart one of their “girls” was purchasing another four cans of spray paint. Surely not the best way to go about it, but it made me think. How many people paint their own instead of spending $300 at Maaco?

LeftHander's picture

I haven't do so in the past no, and I don't think I would either. It's too much work masking it all up and protecting it properly, not to mention that you really want the result to be nice.

If I was broke and it really needed to be done, I might do so though.

racybroad's picture
Date Joined: May 20, 2008

However, I am lucky enough to have a father-in-law who can do anything you can imagine with a car. If I needed a new paint job, he would be the one to do it.

purple's picture
Date Joined: May 16, 2008

I had a friend in high school who painted his El Camino with a powder puff (for putting on face powder). After restoring it he was flat broke and had graduated and had a baby on the way. It kind of looked like a purple cloud close up with the circular puffy markings. I vowed I'd never try myself unless I had to.

LeftHander's picture

Ah, must be nice to have the resources so close at hand! It seems that our family on the other hand is pretty useless when it comes to technical stuff-we just stay away!

howarddavies's picture
Date Joined: Mar 24, 2013

One does require a professional painter to take care of the painting needs as he/she may not have the requisite equipment and setup to do it all on their own. However do insist on getting the best quality material for your car or automobile.

shandayoung's picture
Date Joined: Apr 17, 2013

It's funny how you actually think of an idea just seeing that girl buying bottles of spray. Well, that is really a good idea than spending time and spent money for nothing. I do my car but I'm not the one who painted it, I just give the design that I want then they customized it. need more twitter follower
how to get twitter followers