What is the difference?

George13's picture
Date Joined: Jul 02, 2008

What is the difference between an SUV and a Crossover? Ford is coming out with the “Flex” and I noticed it said Crossover but it looks a lot like an SUV to me. Is there a difference? Is “crossover” just a kinder term for an SUV?

By the way, I like the looks of the Flex and that fact that it got a 5-Star safety rating!

Victoria's picture
Date Joined: Jul 06, 2008

Crossover is a marketing term used to describe a vehicle that takes its design from both a car and an SUV or Minivan. They have been referred to as “wagons that look like an SUV but drive like a car” in the Wall Street Journal. The Ford Taurus X is another example of a Crossover vehicle. Basically they are a sporty looking station wagon.

Vicky

Vicky

mike's picture
Date Joined: Jun 25, 2008

I have driven a couple and they are pretty nice to drive and handle for me better than a full size SUV does but I still don't think I would get one for personal use. I really don't have a need for either.

Embark's picture
Date Joined: Aug 01, 2008

I would imagine that part of the issue would be in the frame. Since technically an SUV has a truck frame, I would assume that a crossover cannot truly have that.

escape's picture
Date Joined: Jun 25, 2008

Exactly a crossover is built on a car frame but with more mini-van or SUV tendencies that move it away from your mom's boring old station wagon. They tend to be patterned closely to a compact sedan, a full sized sedan/minivan or hatchback/wagon. There's a rather nice list on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

George13's picture
Date Joined: Jul 02, 2008

Thanks for clearing this up. It makes perfect sense to me now that I understand it is essentially an SUV or Wagon built on a regular car frame. Is the mileage on these any better on these than a “normal” SUV?

Skate_kansas's picture
Date Joined: Jun 22, 2011

crossovers also are not off road ready my mom used to own and edge and now is a proud owner of a Flex very nice car