Should they bring back the older design and the suicide doors?

George13's picture
Date Joined: Jul 02, 2008

I really loved the older version of the T-Bird and never really liked the newer models. I would like to see them bring back come of the design elements of the classic especially the suicide doors. I had a friend who had one it and was one of the hottest cars that I remember growing up. Do you remember the suicide doors?

chris's picture

I think I saw one of these a few weeks ago. I didn't get a good look but remember thinking it was strange to see both the door handles next to each other. Was the Thunderbird the only one that hate this?

purple's picture
Date Joined: May 16, 2008

I am a fan of suicide doors in any form. The first time I saw them on a Saturn I fell in love with the design concept. It would be nice to see them offered by more car makers, as saturn has done away with the three and four door Ions that used them.

mike's picture
Date Joined: Jun 25, 2008

I know some people that have mixed feelings on these as they look good on some cars but not all. Others have said its too costly and I just don't get that, they way on the cool side and worth it.

Sunny's picture
Date Joined: Jul 13, 2008

No. Other than some Thunderbirds, Fords that had/have suicide doors include: Ford V8 (1932), Ford F-150 SuperCab (1997-present, front doors conventional with rear suicide half-doors), and Ford Ranger (2000-present, with the Supercab version having two rear suicide doors). Also, several other non Fords had/have them as well.

chris's picture

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there had been so many versions with the suicide doors and while I've seen the SuperCab it never really “stuck” that they had them. I think on a sedan they look great and I would love to see more cars with them.

PaintedBlue's picture
Date Joined: Jul 21, 2008

I'll be honest, I've never heard of suicide doors! What is the basic design and what is it that earned them that terrible name? I'm not sure that I would purposefully buy a car that came with doors named that…

Victoria's picture
Date Joined: Jul 06, 2008

I have never been a fan of the suicide door. It's just too confusing for me to have the handles so close together. And what's with up and out, instead of just out. For me a suicide door just might live up to its name.

Vicky

Vicky

Embark's picture
Date Joined: Aug 01, 2008

There is no love lost between me and suicide doors. There's nothing wrong with them but nothing that would get me excited either. They make some sense in some ways, in the back, but otherwise I don't see what the big deal is about.

katie's picture
Date Joined: Jul 01, 2008

What are suicide doors? I don't think I've heard of them before. Hmm, I guess I will need to google them and see for myself. But, since I can't remember them, I'm going to say that they don't need to be brought back.

thalia's picture
Date Joined: Jul 24, 2008

Suicide doors were the models with the doors that opened from front to back or in some models the lifted above the roof. The roof models were never my idea of nice lines, but to each his own.

thalia