Permanent Air Filters

purple's picture
Date Joined: May 16, 2008

When we purchased our Escape it had one of those fancy permanent air filters on it. We tried to clean it as the air intake seemed to be suffering but it was not any better. How bad do you have to treat a permanent air filter to kill it?

escape's picture
Date Joined: Jun 25, 2008

I think its probably less than how bad you have to treat it than how long you have to ignore it. People buy a permanent filter often times and assume they don't have to do anything with it.

alan's picture
Date Joined: Jul 14, 2008

I think that has to be the biggest mistake people make too. A friend of mine had one and ended up thinking it was like a auto defrosting freezer as many do thinking it doesnt need any “help”. What a pain they went through after they realized it does need a little help sometimes.

katie's picture
Date Joined: Jul 01, 2008

If they are permanent then a person would automatically think they don't need to do anything with it. They should have some kind of warning on it or do they?

PaintedBlue's picture
Date Joined: Jul 21, 2008

I agree that it would have to come down to length of ignorance rather than bad treatment. People seem to forget that permanent just means that it's not disposable, that it's not a use till it's grotty and then put a new one in.

George13's picture
Date Joined: Jul 02, 2008

To me it would be just like any other “permanent” part like a transmission. It still needs periodic maintenance and without that it can still fail. I don't know if I would want a permanent filter because I just would never know if I cleaned it well enough.

PaintedBlue's picture
Date Joined: Jul 21, 2008

I wouldn't be too worried about that, as long as you did it often enough. Ok you may never get it to be like brand new, but then most of the time it is running it isn't like new. As soon as it starts running it gets a little grimey, so don't worry so much. Just do the best you can.