Hidden Dangers/Hidden Costs: Facts Everyone should know “MDI exposure”

Cadreema's picture
Date Joined: Jul 10, 2007

Truck Beds and MDI,Have you ever start working on your car or truck and noticed getting a little light headed? Perhaps you work or own an auto business that apply truck bed liners. MDI is used in the rapidly expanding business of spray on truck bed liners. The application involves mixing a two component product and spraying the polymerizing liquid onto a cleaned and scuffed truck bed. Acute effects of overexposure: •Allergic sensitization – a person becomes allergic; this could appear as wheezing, shortness of breath or coughing. •Irritation of eyes and respiratory tract. •Upset stomach, vomiting. •Elevated body temperature (fever) •A feeling of tightness in the chest. •Stuffiness of the nose. •Sore throat. It has been recommended that several measures be specifically address when MDI exposure issues in bed lining operations, including: Conduct all spray operations inside a ventilated paint spray booth; Maintain air velocities at a minimum of 100 feet per minute in the booth; Utilize local exhaust ventilation when spraying in dead air spaces; Keep operators outside of the truck bed during spraying; Use a spray extension handle to keep the nozzle away from the breathing zone; Set the spray pressure and temperature to the minimum level needed; Wear a face shield or goggles when half mask respirators are used; Wear gloves and coveralls when prepping, spraying, and cleaning up; and Use tools such as spatulas when mixing the materials.

Have any Cool Ford Members worked with MDI or used something to apply a truck bed liner,what did you use,what was your experience I understand that it is estimated that there are over 2,000 spray-on bed liner franchises nationwide, with about 10,000 workers. Most businesses employ 6 workers or fewer. Warnings about exposure to isocyanates have been ongoing for a decade, if not longer. For example, automobile spray painting operations encounter the same issues, although the chemical concentration of isocyanates is lower. To avoid health problems with MDI,there is a need to help bring the industry into compliance regarding MDI exposure.contact Stuart Gosswein at stuartg@sema.org

racybroad's picture
Date Joined: May 20, 2008

You start off with asking if you ever get light-headed in the back of the truck but then the entire article is focused on applying the MDI. Does the MDI truck liner emit toxins after applications like some synthetic carpets do?

carly's picture
Date Joined: Jul 14, 2008

Thanks for the share I know sometimes things like this can be a little tricky. I have not done anything like that before but Im sure it will come in handy when I go “what, why did I get myself into this”. :)

purple's picture
Date Joined: May 16, 2008

Anything that is sprayed has something which allows it to be in liquid form before drying. Same as Teflon coating in pans, aerosol cans, etc. Its the chemicals that create the liquid and adhesives, etc that allow it to stay on after drying that cause the problems.

The original poster actually seems like they are phishing for people to join a class action suit of some sort and not actually trying to impart unbiased information…